Here we go.

30 April 2013

Things I've been fancying lately:


1.  The Monkees 'Porpoise Song'



2.  We've been wanting an ottoman for awhile now, but've held out for the perfect vintage number.  This stunner stopped me in my tracks.  We bought it without even looking at the price tag.  It's. just. perfect.
 photo null_zpsec5e06d9.jpg

3.  I really like this simple necklace:

4.  I've been reading and enjoying the installments on boingboing, so I thought I'd go ahead and pre-order Ed Piskar's Hip Hop Family Tree comic from Fantagraphics (who else?!).  It's definitely worth a read.

5.  I'm going to learn how to cook in a dutch oven.  When I was younger and went horseback riding & camping in the mountains of Colorado, all of our meals were prepared in a dutch oven. It's a whole other level of culinary delight.  I want in on that.  I seasoned the beauty we received as a wedding gift last Wednesday in preparation of trying it out this past weekend during our camping trip, but we got rained out.  I suppose I don't have to wait until we go camping to try it out, though.
Photo ripped from Apres Ski Instructor, which, incidentally, is inspiration for dutch oven cooking.

6.  I got a new fig tree cutting from the Bernice Garden Farmer's Market.  I really hope I don't foul this up because I would be ecstatic if we had ourselves a fruit bearing tree.  ATM uprooted three stumps in the front yard, which is backbreaking work.  We've got to cut down one of the camellia trees because of poor planning of previous owners.  We're hopeful to put either this Everbearing Texas fig or Japanese we're sprouting from seed in it's place eventually.
 photo null_zpsc6c0d5d4.jpg

7. It's funny, I went for tacos the other eve, but when the waitress took my order, I was surprised to hear myself order a torta.   Really glad I did and I 'm sorry it took me this long to get around to it.  The ones they make at 65th St. are exceptionally boss and come with french fries!
 photo null_zps1fc73dd2.jpg

8.  I love George Jones.  When I heard of his passing, I actually said out loud "Awww, now!".  As far as musical influences go, there was what our father listened to (rock, soul, R & B, funk, oldies), but it was our neighbors that introduced KMHD & I to the world of country and western.  This is so true:

I can't wait to go camping again and listen to the Ol' Possum in the woods, just like we always do. RIP.


9.  KMHD & Everett hipped me to this band called SAVAGES.  Not really sure if you can handle it:

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Ai Lien, Please let me know you secrets on dutch oven cooking. I got an iron cast one for Christmas but haven't used it--haven't even seasoned it but I pulled something off the net for it. I was thinking a "slick" inside one--is it porcelein (sp?)--would be better, but this is the one I got so I will try my hand. Glad you have one too. Recipes I look up are either for cast iron or porcelein dutch ovens--not sure if the recipes are interchangeable....

kmhd said...

1. Yes!
2. Yes!
3. Yes!
4. Yes!
5. Yes!
6. Yes!
7. TORTA TORTA TORTA TORTA
8. Yes!
9. Yes!

Alannah said...

THAT OTTOMAN!!!! Holy Jesus it's a thing of pure beauty.

Blog Archive